The Indian team has qualified for the World Test Championship 2021-23; yes, you read that right. Now you must be thinking that the Test match is still in progress between Australia and India, but still, how did Team India qualify?
In fact, something happened. India had two conditions to qualify for the World Test Championship (WTC) of 2021–23: either India defeats Australia in the last Test match or New Zealand defeats Sri Lanka. Then something happened. New Zealand defeated Sri Lanka in a nail-biting match by two wickets.
Team Australia had already qualified for the World Test Championship by winning the third Test match against India, and now that New Zealand has defeated Sri Lanka, India has also qualified for the World Test Championship. We will see the final of the WTC between India and Australia in September.
New Zealand vs Srilanka Highlight
- Match: NZ vs SL, 1st Test, Sri Lanka tour New Zealand, 2023
- Date: Thursday, March 09, 2023 – Monday, March 13, 2023
- Venue: Hagley Oval, Christchurch
- Toss: New Zealand won the toss and opt to bowl
- Result: New Zealand Wins by 2 wickets
NZ vs SL: New Zealand captain Tim Southee won the toss and decided to bowl first. In response, the Sri Lankan team scored 355 runs in the first innings at the loss of 10 wickets in 92.4 overs. Karunaratne scored 50 runs.
At the same time, the New Zealand team batted a total of 107 overs in their first innings and scored 373 runs at the loss of 10 wickets; later, the Sri Lankan team scored 302 runs in the second inning, after which New Zealand needed 286 runs to win the match. Sri Lanka needed 10 wickets to win the match, but in the end, New Zealand beat Sri Lanka by 2 wickets in a thorny contest that went down to the last ball of the final over, with Kane Williamson scoring an unbeaten 121 for New Zealand.
New Zealand vs Sri Lanka Playing
- New Zealand: Tom Latham, Devon Conway, Kane Williamson, Henry Nicholls, Daryl Mitchell, Tom Blundell (wk), Michael Bracewell, Tim Southee (c), Matt Henry, Neil Wagner, Blair Tickner
- Sri Lanka: Oshada Fernando, Dimuth Karunaratne (c), Kusal Mendis, Angelo Mathews, Dinesh Chandimal, Dhananjaya de Silva, Niroshan Dickwella (wk), Kasun Rajitha, Prabath Jayasuriya, Asitha Fernando, Lahiru Kumara
Don’t Miss- IND vs AUS ODI: Players who can replace injured Shreyas Iyer in India’s ODI Squad against Australia